A Modern Day Recipe for Plum Duff
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup melted shortening
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup water
1. Set a large pot of water on and heat to boiling
2. Sift together dry ingredients.
3. Stir in melted shortening, sugar, and raisins. Wet the pudding bag or cloth in the boiling water, and dust it liberally with flour.
4. Add the water to the dough and mix well; the dough should be fairly thick, but not stiff. Turn into the pudding bag, tie the bag leaving room for the duff to expand. Or, put it in a greased pudding mold.
5. Put the duff in the boiling water, suspending it by tying it to a spoon in necessary to keep it from touching the bottom of the pot. 6. If in a bag boil for four hours, steam for five hours if in a mold.
7. When done, turn it out of the cloth onto a serving dish. Let it stand a moment to set up. Slice it and serve with molasses.
Print | Top of Page